Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Days 3, 4, 5

Day Three: Write about a person who has greatly impacted your life. Why are you thankful for them?
Scripture: I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. 1 Corinthians 1:4
Today, I’m trying not to go with the obvious, mom, dad or husband. Thinking back, a friend’s younger brother greatly impacted my life. Brendan was younger than I, when I met him on a cruise in 3rd grade, but had battled more than I may ever experience in my life. He had been fighting cancer for years of his young life, and from his experiences he shared that “everyday was a special occasion if you wanted it to be”. That ideology had a great impact on my adolescents. I always found something to complain about, but I would think about Brendan and his struggles, and realize that mine were nothing in comparison. If he could have a positive outlook, then I certainly could too.  Brendan didn’t make it through his battle with cancer, but I know he has a very special place in heaven, and in my heart. I know his impact will live on in so many…

Day Four: Write about a time of great joy. Take some time to be thankful for those experiences.
Scripture: “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:  2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, 3 a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build,4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, 6 a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, 7 a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, 8 a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.” Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
I’ll never forget about the months after I entered recovery from anorexia. I had just met Jesus, and things were wonderful. I would spend hours outside enjoying nature and seeking and finding God in everything. Those summer months were a time of extraordinary peace, restoration, and joy after many months of suffering. Reflecting on it now, it’s clear to me that God will never give you more than you can handle. As I was on the break of destruction in the years before, it all seemed to be ok as I experienced that summer of restoration. I now know that tears may flow in the night, but joy comes in the morning (Psalm 30:5).
Day Five: Have you ever read something that changed your thinking or way of life? Why are you thankful for that?
Scripture: Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. Colossians 3:14-16

Well, today I’m trying not to go with the obvious answer of the Bible, although it certainly has changed me. Another wonderful book that also greatly impacted my way of thinking and my heart was Captivating, by John and Stasi Eldridge. I would consider it a must read for women of all ages! It helped me to understand my value to God, in a way that a sermon could just not cover. The book starts off by bringing up a question that’s on every little girl’s heart, “Am I lovely?”, and then discusses a variety of wounds we receive and how it impacts us as we grow. The reality of the book is that no human, no food, no designer clothes, no medication, can affirm that question in all females hearts, only God can. Everyone has a different shaped hole in their heart, band-aids can’t heal it, but there is one solution that will fix it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment