Saturday, April 2, 2011

Day 2

Day Two: Who was your greatest teacher? What did they teach you, and why are you thankful for them?
Scripture: I thank my God every time I remember you. Philippians 1:3


Looking back, I had many wonderful teachers. My second grade teacher, Mrs. Anderson, provided so much fun, love, and nurturing to us. My 8th grade cluster teachers supported me above and beyond what teachers are called to do… the list could go on and on…

Recently, however, I’ve been reflecting on an unusual lesson learned in 7th grade Tech Ed. class with Mr. Ramsey. As I write this, I’m in a beautiful hotel in Fort Worth, TX, and they have wonderful little hotel sizes of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, mouth wash, soap, you name it- it’s here. One day in Tech Ed class, we managed to get off topic and Mr. Ramsey shared about his experience in a hotel. He too had enjoyed the samples provided, so as he was leaving he passed a cleaning services cart in the hall way that had a bunch of the samples on it. Not thinking anything of it, he picked up an extra sample, put it in his bag and headed on his way. Now, I am certainly guilty of doing the same thing, and back home I have a plethora of samples from a variety of hotels. But as Mr. Ramsey got home, his conscience began to wear on him, and he began feeling guilty for taking what wasn’t his to begin with. After some time, he decided to mail back the samples with an apology for taking them. You can imagine the shock of receiving that in the mail, I’m sure no one missed or even noticed that there was one less mini shampoo and conditioner! I can only imagine that his act made an impact on the person opening the package, as it did on me.


It’s so easy to simply do something like that, no one notices and no harm is done; but if you do that, how much easier will it be to compromise your morals when bigger issues arise?

I am thankful for that unusual lesson from 7th grade Tech Ed. class

1 comment: