Monday, January 21, 2013

Inaugural Tears

I'm watching the inauguration. I've never really been interested in it, and hadn't planned on watching today, but the lack of "quality" tv today has had me in a bind ;) I've been cooking, cleaning and organizing while Frank John naps, so this has been background noise.
They just had a lady (no, I didn't pay attention to who), praying. She prayed to "the almighty", and used a few other non-denominational names. I didn't really pray along, or pay much attention to what all she was praying for because I was a bit put-off by her unwillingness to stand there on behalf of her own faith. I know she has to appease "everyone", but it seems like we have it backwards. Tolerance comes by including everyone and tip-toeing around other's feelings, instead of others being tolerant of a person's right to express their own faith, whatever that may be.
So then she closed her prayer, "in the name of Jesus, and all else holy."
Out of nowhere, I stopped putting on my make-up and starting bawling my eyes out. At first, I truly didn't understand where these tears were coming. I wasn't moved by her prayer, I wasn't moved by the event, I wasn't moved at all. Then it hit me that these were tears for a nation that's walked so far away from it's founding faith. Out of respect for everyone else, the speaker chose to disrespect Jesus by trying to remove Him from His throne by placing Him in line with all these other holy figures.
That's happened before throughout history. Nazi Germany is the first that comes to mind.

But, I have hope, because I know my God still is in control... and through these perils will come brave, bold, and faithful people who wont let their lights be put out in the name of tolerance.

No comments:

Post a Comment