Friday, January 27, 2012

First time pregnancy suprises!

Expecting for the first time has been filled with surprises, I figured I'd share a few of them...and save as a reminder to myself in the future!

Not all maternity clothes are created equally: When you're pregnant and buying maternity clothes, it's easy to assume that it will fit you while you are pregnant, from the beginning to the end. So I was very surprised when the third trimester came around and some of my shirts were riding up on me! I discovered through some on-line reviews of certain items that some things are better suited for you during your second or third trimester! Next time around, when ordering from online stores especially, I'll do some more research before I buy! I've found that shirts with ruching on the sides provide better coverage in the third trimester, especially when paired with full belly maternity pants!

Stretch mark creams are not infallible: When I first found out I was pregnant, stretch marks were the farthest thing from my mind because I'd seen so many great commercials for products that prevent them. At the end of my first trimester I started to apply Bio-Oil 2x a day and was certain I'd be free of stretch marks. Well, this story doesn't have a happy ending. The stretch mark cream certainly serves a purpose in keeping your skin hydrated, but most likely if you are genetically predisposed to stretch marks, you will end up sharing in the aggravation your mother went through as well. The sooner I came to accept that fact, and the fact that they DO fade away, the happier I became!

Being pregnant doesn't mean you can eat whatever you want: For whatever reason, this idea was really big for me in my second trimester! I felt that being pregnant entitled me to extra cake, extra mac and cheese, and extra mashed potatoes. While nothing really bad came from this, it did lead me to gain a few extra pounds that aren't really baby related. Since then, I've shifted to thinking about what foods will provide excellent nutrients to my baby, and that's made me a lot happier, and healthier!

Stay tuned for more surprises after labor and delivery ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment